The Writing Pages

About writing, books, authors, reviews & much more....

The Hollow - by Agatha Christie  

The best part about Agatha Christie novels is the well developed plot and characters; especially the amusing detective, Monsieur Poirot. This character shows how much Christie is in love with her works and creation.


The Hollow, considered as one of the good works by Agatha, is a br
ain tackling mystery. I am sure, it will challenge your wits and your sleuthing skills. It so happens, that there are a lot of visitors at lady Angkatell's house on a short holiday. Her cousin, the dreamy Midge Hardcastle and the intelligent Edward Angkatell are some of them. The wonderful artist Henrietta Savernake and the young doctor John Christow and his strange wife, Gerda were also there.


All the friends and family members were having a wonderful union b
ut on a windswept autumn day, while John was taking a walk, someone shot him and he died. He lay briskly near the edge of the pool and his scared and innocent wife held a revolver whereas the water of the pool turned red. Nobody believed that the pitiable and modest Gerda could have done this.


This all looks like a staged drama but somehow, it is not one. This is when Hercule o arrives and takes charge of the matter. He looked at the man who was not yet dead but was soon dying. He investigates the matter deeply with his slight touch of humor and eccentricity. And then comes a startling revel
ation.....


I enjoy reading novels by Agatha Christie, and I must say they are one of the best in the literary world. Although there is only a slight problem that I believe, Christie enjoys her work but quite tires herself with it at times! I love the strange twist at the end and all the fun-loving characters. It is a great read and I am sure you all will enjoy it, if you have not yet read it!



Technorati Tags:

10 comments

  1. Anonymous  

    Hi Meghna,
    I used to be a fan of Agatha Christie and have read lots of her books earlier. Though I do not remember the stories, when you narrated the plot, I could recollect it. This is one of her good books. And of course, a well written review.

  2. Meghna  

    Hi Catherine,
    I am glad to know that you are one out of the many fans of Christie. I'm glad to know this and am thankful for your kind words :D

  3. --xh--  

    nice review, l'll sis. i, for one momnet,thought u r gng to revel the plot :-D have read lot of her books long time back... :) keep reading and keep growing...

  4. Meghna  

    Hi Anoop,
    Thanks Big Bro :P
    Hey...I never reveal the plot as it spoils the fun for someone who is reading it! Glad you've read some of her books. I will certainly read more......

  5. Solitaire  

    You know I started to read an Agatha Christie book for the first time and did not even go beyond 20 pages. It simply failed to hold my interest and the language was not engaging to me at all. I know she is quite popular. Am I weird?

  6. Meghna  

    Hi Solitaire,
    No way! I had the same reaction as her books have great mystery only for those patient souls who have enough courage to go through those long torturing pages. Actually her books have a very elongated mystery. What can be written in 20 pages, Christie prefers to write than in 40 pages. That's her style and everyone can't bear it! :D SO you aren't strange!

  7. Tushar Mangl  

    One of my fav authors is agatha
    somehow it seems i have missed this book of hers
    thanks for awaring me.

  8. Adi  

    Hi!!!

    First of all, if you don't know me, you better go to your other blog and look for me in the comment section of your 'about me' post.


    Nice review.
    I've also read a couple of Christie books and have liked most of them especially 'The Hound Of Death' and 'They Came To Baghdad' (i hope that's the right spelling).
    But I seem to not like her style, you know. Her style of writing doesn't catch me much unlike Conan Doyle's and Satyajit Ray's.
    I love your blogs. How do you get all the time?! Please tell me the mantra.

    Adityan

  9. Meghna  

    Hi Adi,
    I haven't read the agatha Christie books you have mentioned but I'll try to catch the books soon. Yeah, I know...it gets a little boring at times..her style is a bit too long and boring but it's worth the read as the mystery is certainly fabulous!

  10. Meghna  

    Hi Tshar,
    You should catch it soon because it is too good to resist.

Post a Comment